The Importance of Sleep Hygiene
Yes Sleep Hygiene. Much like anything having a set routine to guide you will set you up for success. Sleeping is no different. Many of the sleep disorders we treat can be lessened by simply making good decisions in regards to your regular day to day patterns. The following are some things which you might try to help improve your sleep. These should be considered valid and useful home solutions to all sleep concerns.
- Keep a regular sleep schedule, this even includes weekends and holidays.
- Keep a routine before bed
- Sleep in a dark, quiet room
- Keep your room at a comfortable temperature. Recommend 65 degrees.
- Use your bed only for sleeping, sexual activity, and resting when you are sick.
- Avoid large meals right before bed Avoid caffeine 6 hours prior to going to bed.
- Avoid alcohol.
- Avoid highly stimulating activities such as exercise, TV, and computer right before bed Get enough exercise during the day Monitor and limit rest/naps during the day .
- Try relaxation techniques or calming activities when attempting to go to sleep. Such as taking a bath/shower, reading, meditation, or listening to soothing music.
- Quit smoking, nicotine is a stimulant and can keep you awake.